Most roof warranties are written to read like a medical Explanation of Benefits (EOB)…detailing what is NOT covered as opposed to what IS covered. It’s good to question what really matters when it comes to a roof warranty:
- Does the warranty stand behind both the material and the installation?
- Will it provide materials and labor to repair or replace defects?
- Is the warranty pro-rated to cover less each year, as in most shingle warranties?
- What are the exclusions and disqualifiers for interior damages, ponding conditions, or chemical discharges?
- Are there requirements to pay for maintenance and inspections?
While it’s a good idea to understand what your roof warranty covers, keep in mind that no 8½” x 11” piece of paper will ever keep water out of your building. We recommend concentrating on selecting the right roofing contractor and the right roof system. What do the history and references say of both? Is your contractor a KRCA Certified Contractor (www.krca.org)?
Buying a roof system that performs is much easier than trying to force a roof warranty to perform if the system fails because of poor design or installation. At Commonwealth Roofing, we say what we mean and do what we say – help solve your roofing problems. Call or click if we can help!